The National Convention of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party
(PDP), seen as a major acid test for the party’s quest to take over power at
the federal level in 2019, opens this morning in Abuja amid optimism.
As
at yesterday evening, Abuja was already agog with many of the party’s delegates
occupying every available space in hotels.
Although
the convention is a non-elective one, it is seen as very critical, since it
would not only authorise the extension of the tenure of the National Caretaker
Committee, but mark the return of unity to the party.
Speaking
yesterday shortly after inspecting the Eagle Square, venue of the convention,
the Chairman of the planning committee and Governor of Delta State, Ifeanyi
Okowa said the arrangements had been finalised on all fronts for today’s
convention.
The
party also said that there was no legal encumbrances to today’s non-elective
convention.
It
was learnt that some people tried to obtain court order to stop the convention
but failed because the court declined to grant them the order.
While
speaking on the outcome of the screening exercise conducted on the seven
governorship aspirants seeking for the PDP ticket for the Anambra governorship
election, the chairman of the panel, Alhaji Adamu Maina Waziri said that five
of them had scaled the hurdle.
He
said that screening committee conducted the assignment with all sense of
responsibility and fairness, adding that anyone who is not satisfied may
still approach the appeal committee.
The
five PDP governorship aspirants that passed the screening hurdle were Ifeanyi
Ubah, Senator Stella Odua, Alex Obiogbolu, John Okechukwu Emeka and Lynda
Ikpeazu.
Whereas
one of the aspirants, Ofordike Akolisa was disqualified for holding dual
citizenship, another aspirant, Oseloka Obaze was placed on probation pending the
decision of the party’s National Caretaker Committee on his application for
waiver, having just moved over from the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).
Earlier
yesterday, the Chairman, sub-committee on Publicity of the special convention
planning committee, Prince Dayo Adeyeye addressed a pre-convention press
conference dismissing a failed move to obtain court injunction stopping the
convention.
“The convention is going to hold legally and constitutionally.”
A
source in the party however, disclosed that the attempt to stop the convention
came from some South West PDP members.
Adeyeye
who gave update on preparations for the event, disclosed that the United
Nations (UN), the African Union (AU) and the Economic Community of West African
States (ECOWAS) would monitor today’s convention.
According
to him, over 3,000 delegates will attend the convention, including former
members of Ali Modu Sheriff faction.
Adeyeye
used the opportunity to compare notes on the performance PDP and that of the
ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), saying that the APC had squandered a
lot of goodwill given to it by Nigerians in 2015.
He
chronicled the failings of the APC to include inability to protect lives and
property of Nigerians, poor economic policies, politisation of fight against
corruption and impoverishment of the people.
Adeyeye
described charges against the former Minister of Petroleum Resource, Mrs.
Deziani Alison-Madueke as wild allegation, and challenged the Economic and
Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to go to court if it has any case against
her.
“This
is not the way to prosecute anti-graft war, go to court if you have any charge
against her. It is only the court that can pronounce her guilty.
“If
you said you recovered N150 billion, why is Nigeria in recession? What are you
doing with recovered loot? APC, propaganda will not save you,”
Adeyeye said
Meanwhile,
as part of the build- up to today’s convention, the PDP held a National
Executive Committee (NEC) meeting.
The
meeting on Friday night considered critical party issues including
trying to tidy up grey areas in the resolutions to be presented to delegates.
Addressing
journalists after the NEC meeting Adeyeye said that NEC took a number of
decisions on may memos that were submitted by the NCC.
For
instance there were memos on the status of party executives in Borno, Kwara,
Adamawa, Kebbi, Osun and Lagos states
According
to him the NEC also received memos on the decision taken by the NCC on the
dissolution of the parallel executives in Anambra state.
Also
considered by the NEC is the proposal for a three months extension of tenure of
the NCC which it referred to the convention for final ratification.
On
the nature of disciplinary action to be meted out to airing party members,
Adeyeye said that NEC decided that the leadership will go through the internal
party processes in dealing with the actions of those who took party to court
over the convention.
News Source: - This Day | August 12, 2017.
Image Source: - Newspeak | August 17, 2016.

No comments:
Post a Comment