Saturday, 5 August 2017
CUNCNews: Usain Bolt Made To Work, Gatlin Jeered
CUNCNews: Usain Bolt Made To Work, Gatlin Jeered: Jamaican sprint star Usain Bolt overcame a “very bad” start to successfully kick off the defence of his world 100m title on Friday, but ...
Usain Bolt Made To Work, Gatlin Jeered
Jamaican
sprint star Usain Bolt overcame a “very bad” start to successfully kick off the
defence of his world 100m title on Friday, but American arch-rival Justin
Gatlin was jeered by the British public.
Bolt, seeking a 12th world title in
his swansong season, found himself fifth halfway into the blue riband event
before putting on the afterburners to win his heat in 10.07 seconds.
“That was very bad,” Bolt said. “I
stumbled coming out of blocks, I’m not fond of these blocks.
“I
think they’re the worst ones I’ve ever experienced.
“I
have to get this start together because I can’t keep doing this. It’s shaky.
When I did my warm up it (the blocks) pushed back. It’s not what I am used to.”
Bolt
v Gatlin at the 2012 Olympics at the same London stadium had been billed as
‘good against evil’, given the American’s doping-tainted past, and so it again
proved.
Gatlin,
the last man to beat Bolt over 100m — by a hundredth of a second in Rome in
2013 — was met with loud booing and jeering when shown on the big screen before
his heat and after he streaked through in a winning time of 10.05sec in his
heat.
“It’s
not the panto season,” the stadium announcer pleaded to the packed-out 60,000
seater London Stadium as a bemused-looking Gatlin made a sharp exit from the
track.
“I’m
not worried about the crowds. I just focus on my start and my race,” said
Gatlin.
“I
am just here, seeing my teammates, seeing my countrymen and just having a good
time.”
Crowd
‘always wonderful’
Bolt
had no complaints about his welcome, however, describing the crowd as “always
wonderful”.
“They
always show me so much love and I always appreciate being here,” he said.
“I’m
excited about getting through to that final and doing my job to my best.”
Bolt
will be joined by Jamaican teammates Julian Forte, the sole sprinter to go
under 10sec with 9.99, and Yohan Blake, who capitalised on Bolt’s sole hiccup
at global events since winning at the Beijing Olympics — a false start — to be
crowned 2011 world champion in Daegu.
The 35-year-old Gatlin, who
served a four-year ban reduced from eight for doping from 2006-10, will be
joined in Saturday’s semi-finals by compatriots Christian Coleman, who has this
season’s fastest time of 9.82sec, and Christopher Belcher.
Japan’s Abdul Hakim Sani
Brown clocked 10.05sec to win his heat ahead of Blake, while China’s Bingtian
Su also won to ensure a healthy Asian presence in Saturday’s races.
But South African Thando
Roto, with an impressive best of 9.95sec this season, was disqualified for a
false start, fancied teammate Akani Simbine also having to sneak in as one of
the fastest qualifiers.
Source: - The Guardian | August 05, 2017.
CUNCNews: Igbo Residents Disown Kanu And Broker For Peace Wi...
CUNCNews: Igbo Residents Disown Kanu And Broker For Peace Wi...: The tensed atmosphere created by the quit notice handed to Igbos living in the North may soon be doused following the outcome of the Fri...
Igbo Residents Disown Kanu And Broker For Peace With Arewa Youth
The tensed atmosphere created by the
quit notice handed to Igbos living in the North may soon be doused following
the outcome of the Friday meeting between Arewa youths and Igbo leaders in the
North.
The
Arewa youths in their meeting held in Kano with Igbo leaders of thought from
the 19 northern states, resolved and raised a 10 man-Reconciliation Committee
saddled with the mandate to finding a lasting solution to the issues
surrounding the October 1 ultimatum.
Sequel
to the renewed call for Igbos to leave the North by October 1, by the northern
youths, the former vice president, Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Isah
Tijjani, had convened the meeting.
Tijjani
handed down 72 hours to the 10-man reconciliation committee to submit their
report on the issues.
Members of the Committee were drawn equally from the both groups.
Members of the Committee were drawn equally from the both groups.
The
five of them representating the Arewa Youths Coalition are, Barrister Abdullahi
Toro, Dr Abba Bukar Kagu, Dr Yima Sen, Dauda S. Shamakeri and Alhaji Ado
Mohammed.
Those
from Igbo leaders are, Chief Chi Nwogu, Eze Ngozi Nwaine Oso, Chief Chris
Nnoli, Igwe Ibekwe and Magnus Ihejirika.
While
Shettima Yarima led the northern youths to the conference, Igwe Boniface
Igbekwe, Eze Ndigbo Kano, led Igbo leaders.
Tijjani
asked the Committee to try and reach a position of agreement for the peaceful
coexistence and development of the country at large.
Yerima
had in his speech earlier, blamed the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)
leader, Nnamdi Kanu’s agitation for Biafra as the reason for the quit notice
order to Ndigbo.
He
said, “Though we had a meeting with the Ohaneze Youth Council in Kaduna, who
dissociated themselves from Nnamdi Kanu, and we got all sorts of condemnation
from the South East. So we couldn’t understand what was really happening.”
In
his own speech, Chief Ibekwe said, “When you issued a quit notice, where do you
want us to go? For your information none of us is a member of IPOB. Since the
issuance of quit notice, you will notice that many things go differently. If
you are a businessman you will understand what I am saying more clearly.”
He
then assured that Igbos in the North believe in peace and peaceful coexistence
of the country.
Observers
will be keen to see where this latest effort leads, in this quit notice saga
that has so far resisted different efforts at resolution.
Source: - Chidi Chinedu | Ripples | August 05, 2017.
Friday, 4 August 2017
CUNCNews: Fire Rips Through Dubai Skyscraper ‘The Torch’
CUNCNews: Fire Rips Through Dubai Skyscraper ‘The Torch’: Panicked residents fled one of the tallest towers in Dubai early Friday after a fire ripped through it, the second blaze to hit the skys...
Fire Rips Through Dubai Skyscraper ‘The Torch’
Panicked residents fled one of the tallest towers
in Dubai early Friday after a fire ripped through it, the second blaze to hit
the skyscraper in as many years.
Authorities said no casualties
were reported from the blaze which erupted in the middle to upper floors of The
Torch, once the tallest residential development in the world.
The tower was the scene of a 2015
inferno that caused extensive damage to its luxury flats and triggered an
evacuation of nearby blocks in the Marina neighbourhood.
Dubai authorities later said the
fire had been put out. There was no immediate indication of what caused the
blaze.
Images published by Dubai Civil
Defence showed The Torch after the flames were brought under control: lights
were still on in some lower floors, but the middle to upper section appeared to
be completely burned out.
In January Dubai announced
tougher rules to minimise fire risks after a series of tower blazes in the
modern emirate mostly due to flammable material used in cladding, a covering or
coating used on the side of the buildings.
On New Year’s Eve 2015 a fire
broke out in a luxury hotel, injuring 16 people hours before a fireworks
display nearby.
In November 2015, fire engulfed
three residential blocks in central Dubai and led to services on a metro line
being suspended, although no one was hurt.
Source: - The Guardian | August 04, 2017.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
Sen. Mantu Confesses His Involvement In Rigging Past Elections
A former deputy president of the Nigerian Senate, Ibrahim Mantu, has revealed how he helped his party to win elections in the pas...
-
Delivery Drone The Federal Government has concluded plans to put a policy in place for the regulation of use of drones for commercial pu...
-
Two hundred and sixty-two more Nigerians voluntarily returned home from Libya on Wednesday with the help of the International Organisati...
-
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday performed this year’s Eid- el-Kabir prayer in his hometown, Daura, Katsina State. According to ...



