A group, Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA), is
operational in North Central and South South Nigeria. It deploys foreign
terrorists that unleash mayhem on communities, with a view to exacerbating
ethnic and religious tensions.
This disclosure
was made in a report presented to President Muhammadu Buhari.
The report was
described as the result of findings by security operatives, including the
Department of State Services (DSS).
A presidency
source, at the weekend, said the discovery of the ISWA network followed the
arrest of suspected attackers consisting of Fulani herdsmen,
government-sponsored militias, militants and other miscreants in Benue State.
The source noted
that many of the persons in custody spoke only the French language, unable to
communicate in any of the Nigerian dialects.
This is the first
time security officials have confirmed the activities of ISWA.
The source
disclosed that a “good number” of the terrorists have been arrested, not only
in the Benue valley, but also in towns in Edo State, specifically Akoko-Edo,
Okpella and Benin, and Okene, in Kogi State.
“It is understood
that the cell, which has members in different parts of the country,
concentrates on recruiting young men to fight for the Islamic State in West
Africa by unleashing cold-blooded murder on innocent citizens.
“There was
intelligence that they planned several attacks, here, before and during
Christmas and New Year. Their bombing targets included fuel depots, foreign
missions, police and military establishments.
“Their network is
very wide. So much was achieved by the DSS, which made a significant number of
arrests in the last two months that helped pre-empt the attacks. This saved
Nigeria from the spate of major terrorist attacks witnessed elsewhere,
syndicated by ISIS worldwide,” the source said.
The source added:
“We are learning more and more about this complex and sophisticated network.
This is the main reason the secret service is not parading those suspects so
far arrested. It has become clear to us now that the challenge facing this
country is a serious one.”
The Senior Special
Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed that
Buhari has been receiving “report upon report on the situation in Benue and
other states”.
He, however, said
he had not been briefed on any of the reports.
This is coming
barely three days after Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, on Friday, inaugurated
the Sanctions Committee charged with tracking and freezing funds for terrorist
groups in Nigeria.
The committee,
headed by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice,
Abubakar Malami, consists of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama;
National Security Adviser, Babagana Mongunu; Director-General of DSS, Lawan Daura;
and Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris.
Also included are
Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele; Chief of Army Staff,
Tukur Buratai; Director General of the National Intelligence Agency; and the
Director General, Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit.
In Taraba State,
meanwhile, a helicopter allegedly packed with arms and ammunition was said to
have made a stop at Jibu village, Ibi Local Government Area.
In a statement,
yesterday, spokesman for the state governor, Bala Dan-Abu, said the incident
might be a plot to arm a militia preparing to attack communities in the state.
He said a similar
sighting preceded an attack in Agatu last year and called on security agencies
to unravel the mystery behind the craft.
Member
representing the area in the state House of Assembly, Josiah Aji, said he was
notified of the development, adding that the council chairman and relevant
agencies have been alerted.
Some residents of
the area told The Guardian via phone that armed security operatives have been
deployed to investigate the matter.
Police spokesman,
David Misal, however, described the report as a mere rumour.
But it was real in
Ondo State yesterday when suspected herdsmen burnt down the farm of a former
Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Chief Olu Falae. And in
neighbouring Ekiti, Governor Ayodele Fayose, warned the leader of Fulani
herdsmen, Muhammed Abashe, that he would be held responsible for any further
attack in the state.
The governor was
reacting to the recent killing by suspected herders of a Tiv woman at Orin
Ekiti.
Fayose said Abashe
failed to provide leadership by not stopping his kinsmen from destroying farms
and attacking residents at the slightest provocation.
“If you still want
to stay among us, you must accept the responsibility of ensuring that none of
our peoples’ farms is destroyed by herdsmen any longer. None of our people must
be killed by your men. If any killing or destruction of the farms of our people
occurs again in that area, I will ensure that I use the law to fight you. This
is the last warning I am giving you,” said Fayose.
News
Source: - The Guardian | January 22, 2018.
Photo Source: - Kogi Reports | January 21, 2018.

No comments:
Post a Comment