The leader of a group calling for the secession of
a Nigerian territory formerly known as Biafra did not appear at a court hearing
on Tuesday, stoking concerns among his supporters who say they haven’t seen him
in weeks.
Nnamdi Kanu’s
family and backers say they haven’t heard from him since what they described as
a military raid on his home in the southeastern region on Sept 14. Nigeria’s
army has denied any such raid took place.
Uncertainty over
the whereabouts of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader has stoked
tensions in a region where campaigners have stepped up calls for separation. A
million people died in a 1967-70 civil war over the short-lived Republic of
Biafra.
Kanu was charged
with conspiracy to commit treason in October 2015 and released on bail in April
on medical grounds.
“I don’t know
where my client is,” his lawyer Ifeanyi Ejiofor told the court. “The home
of the first defendant was invaded by soldiers and since that time I have not
heard from him. I cannot tell ... whether the first defendant is alive or
dead.”
Nigeria sent
reinforcements to the southeastern region last month in a bid to control
tensions.
A Reuters team saw
bullet holes and smashed windows during a visited to his house in the city of
Umuahia two weeks after his family reported a raid took place.
At the Federal
Capital Territory High Court in Abuja on Tuesday, the prosecution said the
three people who provided surety should forfeit their bail bond and be
imprisoned.
The case was adjourned
until Nov. 20.
News
Source: - Reuters | October 17, 2017.
Photo Source: - Vanguard | October 16, 2017.

No comments:
Post a Comment