At least
27 people have been confirm dead and 54 are still missing after an overcrowded
boat sank in a river in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a local official said
Sunday.
Most of the victims
of the tragedy on the Kasai River were students on holiday, local administrator
Jacques Mbila told AFP.
The main reasons for
the sinking were “overcrowding and drunk drivers”, Mbila added.
The accident happened
overnight Thursday to Friday on the river Congo in the Idiofa area in the
southwest of the vast country.
Local radio
journalist Nelly Mafuta said she saw two nuns among the 27 dead, and the Idiofa
cathedral said it held a mass in tribute to the victims.
The boat had left
Dibaya in the restive central Kasai province on Thursday, heading northwest for
its final destination of Ilebo more than 500 kilometres (300 miles) away.
Such transport is one
of the most used in DR Congo with its numerous waterways including the Kasai
river, the country’s second longest after the mighty Congo at over 2,360
kilometres.
Boats frequently
capsize in DR Congo, most often due to taking on too many passengers, the lack
of safety measures and inexperienced helmsmen.
Violence in the Kasai
region erupted last year after a tribal chieftain known as the Kamwina Nsapu
openly challenged the authority of President Joseph Kabila’s government and was
killed in a police operation in August 2016.
Source: - AFP | July 17, 2017

No comments:
Post a Comment