A total of 55 husbands have reported to the Lagos
State Government how their wives battered them in the last eight years in
renewed cases of domestic violence in the state.
The Attorney
General and Commissioner for Justice, Lagos State, Adeniji Kazeem at a media
briefing in Ikeja, yesterday, revealed that more men were now coming forward to
report cases of violence against them by their women.
Kazeem, who is the
chairman, Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team, DSVRT, said there had
been 55 cases of men reporting domestic violence against them by their wives
between January 2017 and now as against 14 that was recorded last year.
However, Kazeem
disclosed that between January and September 2017, a total of 852 cases of
domestic violence and related cases were recorded in Lagos State, saying that
out of the total number, there were 564 domestic violence cases, 60 defilement
cases, 30 rape cases, 11 attempted rape, 123 child neglect and abuse cases, and
84 other cases.
He said the data
revealed that most of sexual assault cases were perpetrated in the afternoon
during weekdays, while corroborating that 95 percent of the perpetrators of
sexual violence were known to the victims, which according to him, necessitated
the need to embark on sensitization campaigns for parents on parenting skills
and child abuse prevention tips as well as training for children on child’s
rights, child abuse, safety and how to preserve evidence.
While some of the
cases have been charged to court, Kazeem said the State Government through the
Ministry of Youth and Social Development and other stakeholders, provided
shelter for the survivors.
Aside that, the
Commissioner said all the survivors of sexual assault received medical
attention from comprehensive Primary Health Care Centres and referral centres,
among other efforts to properly rehabilitate and re-integrate them into the
society.
Kazeem, however,
noted that under the present administration, the interventions of DSVRT were
gradually breaking the silence around issues of sexual and gender based
violence in the state.
“There is a
growing confidence urging people to speak out more, there is an astronomical
increase in reporting of cases in the media. Lagos has indeed revolutionized
the way sexual and gender based violence is being tackled in Nigeria with all
the pioneering initiatives of Governor Ambode,” Kazeem said.
News
Source: - Vanguard | September 6, 2017.
Photo Source: - www.pinterest.com

No comments:
Post a Comment