Amnesty International has urged that the Nigerian
government must ensure the presidential investigative panel earlier set up to
investigate human rights violations by Nigeria’s military is independent,
impartial and effective.
Director, Amnesty
International Nigeria, Osai Ojigho, noted that “the establishment of this
investigative panel is an opportunity for Nigeria to ensure justice for victims
of the countless allegations of war crimes by the military in the country – and
it must not be wasted.”
The panel was set
up by the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo who was then acting
president, to “review compliance of the armed forces with human rights
obligations and rules of engagement, especially in local conflict and
insurgency situations.”
Stakeholders,
affected persons, institutions and the public in Nigeria have been asked to
voluntarily submit memorandum to the panel, which will conduct hearings from 11
September 2017.
However, Ojigho
said the panel “will only be able to achieve these goals if international
standards and best practices on thorough, effective, independent and impartial
investigations are guaranteed and implemented.”
A statement made
available to newsmen on Monday by its Media Manager, Isa Sanusi, it also called
on the Nigerian authorities to ensure the panel has the resources to facilitate
its work and protect its independence.
Amnesty said
although the panel has published its Terms of Reference (ToR), which it said is
a first step towards ensuring transparency, it said, however, “there is lack of
clarity as to the panel’s mandate, working methods and the scope of the
investigations.”
It said “the panel
should also publicly clarify the procedures that will be followed during the
hearings and whether the findings would be made public.
The statement partly reads thus:
“In particular,
the ToR lack reference to concrete measures to protect victims and other
witnesses who will be testifying or submitting evidence during the hearing.
“As a starting
point, it is crucial that victims and witnesses are protected from harassment,
threats, ill-treatment or reprisals to ensure they can make submissions to the
panel without fear,” said Ojigho.
“Amnesty
International has submitted a memorandum to the panel outlining the findings of
its years of research relevant to the investigations.
“It is also
calling on the Nigerian authorities to ensure the panel has the resources to
facilitate its work and protect its independence.
“These includes
adequate financial support, plus expertise in criminal investigation, forensic
analysis, legal analysis, witness protection, gender advice and data
management.
“The Nigerian
government’s responsibilities go beyond merely investigating these human rights
violations; it must also ensure the panel has the mandate to make
recommendations to bring the perpetrators of these violations to justice,” said
Osai Ojigho.
“It is also vital
that the panel makes its findings public – unlike in previous investigations –
to ensure full transparency and accountability.
“Amnesty
International has been documenting gross and massive violations and abuses
committed by all sides to the non-international armed conflict in the
North-East of the country as well as human rights violations in the rest of the
country, including evidences of war crimes and possible crimes against
humanity.
“The organisation
has previously named and called on the Nigerian government to investigate 9
high ranking military officials for potential individual and command
responsibility. Amnesty International’s findings have been published in
successive reports published from 2012 to 2016.
“The organisation
has published a detailed Public Statement calling on the government of Nigeria
and the presidential investigative panel to address key concerns related to the
mandate and working methods of the Panel.”
News
Source: - Vanguard | September 11, 2017.
Photo Source: - www.amnesty.ie

No comments:
Post a Comment