Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff, has ordered the
deployment of troops in the south-east to stop “violent” secessionist
agitations.
DD Ahmadu, army
chief of training and operations, who spoke on behalf of Buratai at a news
conference on Friday, announced that a military exercise tagged ‘Operation
Python Dance’ would commence in the five south-eastern states from September
15.
The army held a
similar exercise in the region between November and December 2016. At the time,
it said the reason for its action was to ensure security in the region during
the Christmas celebrations.
But on Friday, the
army said it was embarking on another security operation in the south-east to
stamp out kidnapping, armed robbery and violent secessionist agitations.
“The commencement
of Exercise Egwu Eke II, (python dance II) to be conducted in 82 division area
of responsibility, covering Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo states. The
exercise is scheduled to take place from Friday 15 September to Saturday 14
October 2017,” Ahmadu said in a statement he delivered at the news conference.
“As you are all
aware, a similar exercise nicknamed Egwu Eke I, (python dance I) was conducted
from 27 Nov – 27 Dec 16 within the five south-eastern states of Abia, Anambra,
Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo. The objective was to effectively contain the reported
cases of kidnapping and other vices prevalent in the south-east region every
Yuletide. The effect of the exercise yielded tremendous results as law abiding
citizens in the area celebrated the Christmas festivities of 2016 in safer
environment than what it used to be.
“Building on this
achievement, Exercise Egwu Eke II has become more expedient due to the mindless
assassinations (even in religious places), attacks on security personnel and
theft of weapons, kidnappings, armed banditry and violent agitations by
secessionist groups, amongst other crimes that have recently bedevilled the
region.”
He said during the
exercise, “emphasis would be placed on raids, cordon and search operations,
anti-kidnapping drills, road blocks, check points, patrols, humanitarian relief
activities such as medical outreach and show of force to curb the rising threat
to national security in the south-eastern part of the country”.
Ahmadu also said
brigade headquarters would be established in all the south-eastern states.
Last week, the
police increased the number of their personnel in the region to “avert a breach
of security and maintain law and order”.
Jimoh Moshood,
force public relations officer, said operatives from the mobile force,
counter-terrorism unit, intelligence unit were sent to the region.
News
Source: - The Cable | September 9, 2017.
Photo Source: - thescoopng.com

No comments:
Post a Comment