The Senate has supported
the Federal Government’s ban on the activities of the Indigenous People of
Biafra (IPOB). It also advised that all groups seeking to pursue any agitation
should do so through the constitutional means.
This resolution was announced by the Senate President,
Abubakar Bukola Saraki. The Senate spokesman, Aliyu Abdullahi Sabi, told
journalists after plenary yesterday that IPOB through the extant law has been
proscribed.
He said the
legal process has been complied with in the terrorism act as the Attorney-
General, Abubakar Malami, has done the needful. He said: “For us, that law
itself is based on our constitution. So, what we are saying here is if the
Federal Government has taken the legal process to proscribe IPOB, as far as the
Senate is concerned, that is the law of the land until a court of competent
jurisdiction says otherwise.”
In another
development, the Senate has also reshuffled the leadership of some committees. Senator
Andy Ubah, representing Anambra central, who was Chairman, Public Accounts now heads Committee on
Interior.
Senator Sabo
Mohammed, Chairman, Committee on Trade and Investment; Senator Matthew
Urhoghide, Chairman, Committee on Public Accounts; Senator Raji Rasaki,
Chairman, Committee on Culture and Tourism; Senator Adeola Olamilekan,
Chairman, Local Content; Senator Stella Isiah, Chairman, Corporation and
Integration and Senator Bukar Mustapha, Capital Market Development.
The Senate
also reviewed the performance of the economy and told the executive to increase
funding of the 2017 budget to avoid the economy from sliding back into
recession.
The upper legislative
chamber specifically expressed dismay that $9 billion has been lost in the name
of stabilising the value of the naira. It expressed worries that only about ten
per cent of the N7.4 trillion budget has been implemented so far with barely
three months to the end of the year.
It therefore
summoned the Ministers of Finance as well as Budget and National Planning, Kemi
Adeosun and Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, to explain the non-release of money to
fund the budget.
Meanwhile,
the Deputy Director of Information in the Federal Ministry of Finance, Mrs.
Patricia Deworitshe said the Federal Government has, to date, released N336
billion from the 2017 budget to Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies
(MDAs) for funding of capital projects in the first quarter of 2017.
Two separate
motions passed yesterday on the issues of recession and budget implementation
raised critical questions about the genuineness of government’s intention in
reviving the national economy.
Senator
Yahaya Abdullahi of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Kebbi State who
sponsored the motion tagged “Stabilizing and sustaining post recession growth
of the economy” said the level of harmony between the fiscal and monetary
policies of government is still very low.
The motion,
which was unanimously passed, lamented that “relatively stable exchange rates
of N365 to the dollar (parallel) and N305 to the dollar (official) was achieved
at a great cost to the nation,” adding that “the Central Bank of Nigeria has
spent nearly $9 billion to support the naira.”
News
Source: - The Guardian | September 27, 2017.
Photo Source: - Point Black News | February 09, 2016.

No comments:
Post a Comment