Russia said on Friday the FBI
planned to carry out a search of its San Francisco consulate, which Washington
has ordered closed along with two other facilities as part of a diplomatic
slugging match between the two powers.
Russian
foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the search was set for
Saturday and accused the US authorities of threatening the "security"
of Russian citizens and violating diplomats' immunity.
Mysterious
black smoke was seen rising from a chimney at the consulate, as firefighters
confirmed its occupants were burning unidentified objects on the eve of the
mission's closure.
Washington
ordered on Thursday that the facility and two others be shutdown by Saturday in
a retaliatory move after the Kremlin demanded the US slash staff numbers at its
Russian diplomatic missions.
The spat
between the two nuclear-armed powers is another blow to US President Donald
Trump's pledge to try to improve relations with Russia's Vladimir Putin.
Zakharova
said in a statement that the FBI intended to carry out a search of the San
Francisco consulate "including of the apartments of employees who live in
the building and have immunity," forcing them and their families to leave
for up to 12 hours.
"We
are talking about invasion into a consulate and the accommodations of
diplomatic staff," Zakharova said. "The demands of the US authorities
create a direct threat to the security of Russian citizens."
"We
express a resolute protest over Washington's actions that ignore international
law," Zakharova said, adding that: "We reserve the right to take
retaliatory measures."
The US
ordered the closures in a retaliatory move after the Kremlin demanded
Washington slash staff numbers at its Russian diplomatic missions to 455
personnel with a deadline that ran out on Friday.
"The
United States has fully implemented the decision by the government of the
Russian Federation to reduce the size of our mission in Russia," State
Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert confirmed in a statement.
Washington
said it hoped the two sides "can avoid further retaliatory actions"
and improve ties but warned it was "prepared to take further action as
necessary and as warranted."
Firefighters
were called to the consulate in response to alarmed -- or intrigued -- phone
calls from citizens, but later clarified there was no cause for concern.
San Francisco
fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge told AFP that consulate employees
"must be" in the middle of burning unknown items.
But top
diplomat Sergei Lavrov avoided blaming the Trump administration for the latest
tensions and laid the guilt squarely at the door of his predecessor Barack
Obama.
"We
are open even now for constructive cooperation where it corresponds to Russian
interests," Lavrov said Friday.
"But
it takes two to tango and so far our partner is, again and again, doing an
individual break dance."
Lavrov is
to meet his US counterpart Rex Tillerson in September in New York.
The fresh
diplomatic spat is the latest twist in tortured ties between the US and Russia,
which have slumped to their lowest point since the Cold War following the
Kremlin's seizure of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014.
The West
slapped punishing sanctions on Russia over its meddling in its ex-Soviet
neighbour, sparking a revenge embargo from Moscow against agricultural
products.
Last year
tensions ramped up again after the US intelligence community accused Putin of
masterminding a hacking and influence campaign to tip the presidential vote in
favour of Trump.
In the
waning days of his tenure, Obama hit out at Russia over the allegations by
turfing out 35 diplomats and closing two of Moscow's diplomatic compounds.
Moscow
initially held off from retaliating but when Congress passed new sanctions
tying up Trump's hands, the Kremlin decided to belatedly strike back and
ordered the US staff cut.
Any
impression that he is cosying up to Russia has become politically toxic for
Trump amid a string of probes into potential collusion between his team and the
Kremlin.
Thursday's
announcement by the State Department came as Russia's new ambassador to
Washington, Anatoly Antonov, arrived in the US capital to take up his post,
Russian news agencies reported.
"Right
now we need to calmly examine (this situation). We should act calmly and
professionally," Antonov told RIA-Novosti.
"As
Lenin said, hysterical impulses are of no use to us."
Antonov's
predecessor Sergei Kislyak is one of the figures at the centre of the scandal
over alleged Russian meddling in the November election in a bid to help Trump
beat Democrat Hillary Clinton.
News
Source: - AFP | September 2, 2017.
Photo Source: - VOA News | August 31, 2017.

No comments:
Post a Comment