The flood ravaging parts of Benue State, yesterday
swept through the home of Governor Samuel Ortom, washing away about eight
bridges and culverts, submerging close to 50 huts and houses and rendering
about 200 persons homeless in Guma Local Government Area of the state.
The flood
which came as a result of over seven hours downpour in the area submerged two
major bridges on River Guma at Tor Kpande and Mande Ortom, where the governor
personally killed a Puff Adder snake in the flood water. Farmlands and food barns were also not spared
in the affected communities.
The
disaster also left the newly constructed Daudu-Gbajimba, and University of
Agriculture Makurdi roads impassable after several portions of the roads were
washed away by the rising flood waters, the worst to be recorded in the area
after the 2012 flood disaster.
The worst
hit communities include Tse-Adorogo, the governor’s village, Tse-Igba,
Tse-Akor, Tse-Terzar, Tse-Abi, Tor Kpande and most of the villages on the
stretch between Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi and Gbajimba, the
local government council headquarters.
Governor
Samuel Ortom who undertook on the spot assessment of the disaster lamented that
the level of destruction in the affected communities were overwhelming.
While
expressing worry over the number of farmlands and food storage facilities that
were washed away the governor lamented that the state might be faced with
serious food shortages since most of the rice produced in the state came from
Guma.
“Apart
from the hardship the disaster has inflicted on the people, the farmlands and
food barns that were washed away by the flood gives everyone reasons to worry
over looming food shortages in our state”, he said.
He stated
that two camps had already been opened in Makurdi to ensure that the displaced
persons had shelter and also received assistance.
Meanwhile,
following the presidential directive, the National Emergency Management Agency
NEMA has dispatched seven trucks of relief materials to support persons
affected by the flood in Benue state even as the former Vice President, Alhaji
Atiku Abubakar made a personal donation of N5m for the victims.
Spokesperson
of NEMA, Mallam Sani Datti, in a statement said, “as an emergency response,
seven 30 tons truck have been dispatched to the state and are due to arrive
Makurdi on Friday, 1st September, 2017.
NEMA’s
Director General, Engr Mustapha Maihaja has also ordered a reinforcement of
another contingent of humanitarian officers headed by Director (Search and
Rescue), Air Commodore Paul Ohemu from the Headquarters in Abuja in addition to
the officers of the North Central Zonal Office in Jos, to deliver immediate
humanitarian assistance to the affected persons in the various locations and
assess the situation for further supports.
Also, the
former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar described the flood as a harrowing
experience and urged all Nigerians to support the victims as he donated N5m
towards the relief efforts for the victims.
A statement
issued from his media office quoted the former Vice President as encouraging
the flood victims to “stand firm as all Nigerians feel their pain and share
their suffering.”
News
Source: - Vanguard | September 2, 2017.
Photo Source: - Premium Times | August 31, 2017.

No comments:
Post a Comment